100 Pounds to Lose? Try Walking
YOU CAN WALK ANYWHERE
- Walking is something you can do 365 days a year!
- Rain or shine, indoors or outside.
- In a park, around a neighborhood, on a treadmill or up and down your driveway.
- There is ALWAYS SOMEWHERE TO WALK.
YOU CAN WALK ANYTIME
- Walking can be done Anytime of Day!
- It doesn’t matter when you have the time during your day, walking is always an option.
- While the kids are napping, on your lunch break, in the morning, in the evening, it doesn’t matter. It is your time and You can chose how and when to use it.
- You don’t have to get in the gym at a certain time (when it is least crowded, when is that anyway?).
- You don’t have to make it to a scheduled class in time. You can plan a walk after lunch and if for some reason it doesn’t work out, you can walk right after dinner. It’s up to You and Your Schedule!
Walking Naturally Treats Depression and Anxiety
- Many of you probably suffer from depression or anxiety. I am right there with you, my friend!
- Moving your body gets your endorphins flowing and your mood improves.
- Walking outside, especially, is a mood enhancer. Seeing the trees, flowers and wildlife inspires euphoria.
- Exercise releases the tension from anxiety and your body and mind become more relaxed.
How to Get Started?
First of all it’s FREE!
- You won’t need any gym memberships or fancy gadgets.
- Just grab your sneakers and a bottle of water and you are ready to go.
- Track your steps/miles/minutes with your phone on an app like “Step Tracker and Pedometer”, your miles with mile markers on walking tracks, or just your minutes with a regular ol’ watch.
- You don’t have to have all of the technical gadgets to track your walking, sure it makes it easier but you can START RIGHT NOW without all of those things. Don’t use “not having a pedometer” as a reason not to start.
- You can simply track today’s progress by landmarks that you pass. So tomorrow you can walk past that “big tree with the crazy looking dog in the yard”.
- There is no equipment necessary to start walking and therefore no excuse.
Make Your Walk Your Daily Priority
- Just like brushing your teeth, your walk should be something you HAVE TO DO NO MATTER WHAT.
- Walking needs to be your “must do today” everyday!
- The dishes can wait, the show on Netflix will still be there, the kids can stay with your spouse. Whatever your excuse is, I dare you to find an alternative or put it on the back burner.
Leave Your Guilt Behind
Your family can be without you for your 10, 30, 60, 90 minute walk. They can’t be without you for the rest of their life.
– While Walking TodayLose the Guilt!
- Walking can save your life. You have to look at it that way. You are not selfish for needing this time for yourself.
- You are making yourself healthier by walking. You are taking steps toward a healthier, longer life.
- Your family CAN be without you for your 10, 30, 60, 90 minute walk. They CAN’T be without you for the rest of their life.
- You will feel better physically and mentally and it will improve your relationships.
- Start today, no excuse. Take a walk today.
- Depending on your fitness level, you can start out with a 10 minute walk a day, then 2- 10 minute walks a day, then 3 – 10 minute walks a day.
- That’s the beauty of walking. It can be one big ol’ scoop of minutes/miles or it can be several small increments added up in a day. It’s up to you and your fitness/physical level.
- Make a plan for the week and try to do at least that much. Then increase it next week.
Make a Visual Plan & Record
- Write down your plan! Visual goals taped to your steering wheel, stuck on your refrigerator or on your TV will help you stay focused.
- Record your daily progress. Write your steps/miles/minutes down in a journal, on a notebook, on your calendar or type it in your phone’s calendar.
- Write down how you felt during that walk. Try to find a positive in every walk. It’s ok to feel discouraged or upset but if you took that walk, no matter how small, you DID SOMETHING FOR YOUR HEALTH AND WELLNESS TODAY! That’s something to be proud of and definitely deserves to be recorded.
- Reward yourself for investing in yourself, your health and your future.
- I wouldn’t recomend food as a reward, instead think of different options:
- Maybe after a week you will buy yourself that pedometer you wanted, a better water bottle, some ear buds etc. Look for rewards that will help you on your future walks.
- Maybe reward yourself with that workout DVD that you read about; I like Leslie Sansone’s walking videos for rainy days.
- Some people find writing out a plan with goals and rewards helps to motivate them to keep on walking!
You Can Do This!
You have the power to change your life. I believe in you. I am here for you if you need me. Weight gain, especially large amounts, did not happen overnight and therefore, will not be lost overnight. But you are capable of making this change. You are capable of loving yourself and showing love to yourself. You just need to take the first step.
Take your first Walk!
Go outside, feel the sun on your face. Walk to your mailbox, walk past your neighbor’s house, walk up and down your driveway, walk laps around your house, walk in a park and watch other people, walk with music, walk with a podcast, walk with peace and quiet. However you do it, just do it!